Mad Maine Vintage Shop

This little blog will chronicle my ventures into selling vintage items in a local antique market.
My booth is called Mad Maine Vintage Shop - it features items inspired by a certain popular TV show,
and I am located in lovely Maine. Viva Vintage!



Friday, January 4, 2013

It's in the presentation, stupid.

And stupid is referring to me, of course.  Since I moved into my large booth, I had a stack of vintage suitcases that I couldn't wait to set up and sell quickly.  I was pretty proud of myself when I built a little colorful suitcase tower in one corner and thought it looked adorable.  And it stayed looking adorable because they didn't sell.  My customers didn't even open any of then as I could tell from the way I had arranged the price tags. Whatever happened to all the people searching for cute vintage luggage?

Suitcase tower, aka wallpaper

Then, before Christmas, I needed a small overhaul in my booth and was short on space and decided to use a couple of the suitcases to display other merchandise.  The red and blue ones became toy chests, while the brown one displayed office accessories. 


 
 
And guess what?  All of them sold within days!  I am assuming that people saw what great storage solutions they are and also how darn cute they were on the inside.  Something that basically looks like it could be on an airport conveyor belt (albeit a few decades ago) did not have a chance against an open and welcoming treasure chest.  Lesson learned.  For suitcases as for many other other things in life, it's all in the presentation.
 
Have you had something sitting around forever and then changed its presentation and seen it get accepted into the popular crowd?

7 comments:

  1. What a great story! Good to keep in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a bunch of beer coasters that didn't sell. I glued magnets to the back and placed a sign saying they make great stocking stuffers. I sold almost all of them. I also displayed them in an old tool box tray with a few of the magnet coasters stuck to the metal sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that coaster idea. We as sellers also need to be staging designers if we are to do above average. I have heard that old tool boxes are great to stage things in. I will keep looking for old boxes, suitcases and cases just to use as staging tools.

      Delete
  3. How interesting! It's true that switching things up a bit can sometimes prompt a sale -- even with online shops. I've occasionally switched feature photos and gotten an immediate sale afterwards. You just never know, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think repeat customers subconsciously find the same staging (or online photos) stale after a couple of visits. Switching up is good :-)

      Delete
  4. Give it a try - they also showcase what great storage containers they can be!

    ReplyDelete